[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed May 30 18:38:15 UTC 2012

On 5/30/2012 2:21 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> I appreciate your and others' efforts at advice. I'm simply trying to use
> existing hardware (that's the eco-friendly approach), and trying to build
> my understanding of the Fedora/CentOS operational relationships. Given
> that it has been stated that CentOS 5.x was built from FC6, and that
> someone had already offered general guidance on the upgrade procedure (I
> shared the link in my initial request), I thought that it would be
> worthwhile asking the CentOS-users list to see if someone from this
> community had any direct experience with the upgrade. I'm not yet looking
> for a recommendation for a clean install.

The issue here is that upgrading between major versions (CentOS 4.x to
5.x) is not supported or recommended.  And if it is not recommended to
upgrade from CentOS 4 to CentOS 5, it is even less recommended to try an
upgrade from Fedora Core 2 to CentOS 5.

As has been mentioned before, the results of the upgrade will be a box
that claims to be CentOS, but has lots of extraneous packages and files
left behind from the previous Fedora install.  This will result in a
system that seems to run fine, but is likely to have strange problems
from time to time when something tries to use one of these old files.

--
Bowie