[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 30 19:13:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> wrote:
> Thank you; this is very helpful.
>
> My hope is to upgrade; that way I don't have to change/specify partition
> topology,

But that takes a couple of minutes - or you could use the saved
kickstart info if FC2 saved it back then.  Or install on the existing
partitions.

> and hopefully only minimally adjust the existing configurations.

And the part that matters should be in a dozen or so files in /etc.
Save copies, diff/merge anything you don't understand well enough to
do from scratch.   Another few minutes.

> I have enough experience with unraveling rpm package
> dependency/duplication issues, having gone through F14->F15 DVD upgrade
> that failed/froze (in the end I worked with the "rescue" portion of the
> DVD and unraveled duplicate/missing package issues using yum and rpm; you
> can find that thread on the Fedora Users list).

So you know that can take a long time to get right...  I don't see the
point of even considering it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com