[CentOS] Virtualization Options!

Antonio da Silva Martins Junior asmartins at uem.br
Thu Nov 1 13:53:04 UTC 2012

----- "Johnny Hughes" <johnny at centos.org> escreveu:

> De: "Johnny Hughes" <johnny at centos.org>
> Para: centos at centos.org
> Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 1 de Novembro de 2012 10:55:05 (GMT-0300) Auto-Detected
> Assunto: Re: [CentOS] Virtualization Options!
>
> On 11/01/2012 07:42 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On 11/01/2012 06:53 AM, Antonio da Silva Martins Junior wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >>    Thanks for your advices, I'll take a look on all and post what I conclude on it.
> >>
> >>    Maybe I'm not clear enought, I already had CentOS5.8 Xen on my Hosts, but I'm
> >> finding a solution more "enterprise". The HA/Load Balance solution we had are self
> >> made, it is much time consuming for our needs. We are searching for something more
> >> easy (or self) administering software.
> >>
> >>    This is why we take a look on VMware, Citrix, etc...
> >>
> >>    We'll take a look on OpenStack, RHEV/RHEM, maybe Oracle VM...
> >>
> >>    Thanks,
> >>
> >>         Antonio.
> >>
> > If you are looking for Cloud stacks and not just Virtualization
>
> Note:  This is a very good resource to explain the differences between
> a Cloud and Virtualization:
>
> http://vimeo.com/51856809

Well, thanks...

   I'll take a look on this...

   I'm thinking a "cloud" will be a bit overkilling for our applications :D We
had only a dozen hosts with aprox. 100 VMs (linux, windows) on it. But, today,
almos everything is a "cloud" :D

   I already read the manuals of Eucaliptus and OpenStack, will take a look on OpenNebula, too...

   I'm thinking that we will have a "cloud" when we can use VDI to virtualize our desktop labs :D
For now we are searching a way to automatize the management of our VMs, but without all of the lights,
rings, and bells most of the cloud softwares had :D Our installation is prety simple: all hosts share some
LUNs from the Storage (via iSCSI). We had cLVM on it. The VMs had their own LVM partition. And we had a
couple o C and bash programs that do the magic. But, to deploy a new VM is almos the same as deploy a physical
host. No snaphsot (cLVM didn't had it working), and no clone (it almost kills the SAN net). This is why we are
searching for something else! VMware and Citrix made some demonstrations for our boss, but both needs MS-AD.

    Then we are searching for other options :D

    We already had talks with RH, thanks Jim Wildman, and well we aren't in a touristic area either :D

    Well... we are still searching :D

    Thanks,

           Antonio.

--
| Antonio S. Martins Jr. - Support Analyst | "Only The Shadow Knows     |

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivirus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.