[CentOS] Multiple incremental DVD backup program?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:42:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:

>> Assuming you have space to hold the temp copies, why don't you do
>> something like:
>> tar  -czf - dir  |split --bytes=4G /parth/to/prefix
>>
>> Odds are good that a 6GB dir would compress to fit on on DVD anyway.
>
> Thanks Les.
>
> dar supports slices, and the GUI looks good for it as well.
>
> I might not even bother with compressing things, just want
> backups to write to DVD's away from the computer.

Just a knee-jerk reaction because I like it so well, but whenever
anyone mentions backups I have to recommend backuppc.   If you have
any other system that can work over the network (perhaps offsite via
VPN) and hold copies on-line you might like it.  It is the kind of
thing that you can set up once and it will take care of itself for
years.   It can use rsync for the transport so after your initial copy
you only need bandwidth for the changes.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com