[CentOS] Multiple incremental DVD backup program?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sat Nov 3 17:15:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Leon Fauster wrote:

> From: Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Multiple incremental DVD backup program?
>
> Am 01.11.2012 um 21:19 schrieb Keith Roberts:
>> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> Just a knee-jerk reaction because I like it so well, but whenever
>>> anyone mentions backups I have to recommend backuppc.   If you have
>>> any other system that can work over the network (perhaps offsite via
>>> VPN) and hold copies on-line you might like it.  It is the kind of
>>> thing that you can set up once and it will take care of itself for
>>> years.   It can use rsync for the transport so after your initial copy
>>> you only need bandwidth for the changes.
>>
>> That's something I might take a look at. What I want
>> to do is make backups that are on removable media, so they
>> are not dependant on a machine for their data safety. Once I
>> have burnt the backups to DVD they will be stored away then,
>> just in case I need them.
>

> i suggest to burn it twice on different media and migrate the
> data to new media after a couple of years :-)

Hi Leon.

I don't expect to keep the same DVD backup set for more than
~12 months. I just make periodic backups from my dedicated
backup drive to DVD/CDs, to get the data away from the PC
and onto something hopefully more permanent than HDD's.

Usually I can restore straight from the backup drive
in the PC. I may have used the CD/DVD media when 3 HDD's
decided to fail at around the same time.

Here's the script's I wrote in PHP to be run by cron in the
early hours of the morning, and posted on the Fedora
forum.

Generic PHP CL backup script

Kind Regards,

Keith (CD-RW)