[CentOS] Fwd: Re: Problem installing 6.3 on HP8540w laptop

david

david at daku.org
Thu Nov 15 21:27:59 UTC 2012

At 12:12 PM 11/15/2012, you wrote:

>From: Russell Clay1 <russclay at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Problem installing 6.3 on HP8540w laptop
>Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:07:42 +0000
>
>Hello,
>
>Try checking the following:
>
>1. The run level is currently set for networking:
>
>Log in as route, and issue the command 'runlevel'.
>
># Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
>#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>#   1 - Single user mode
>#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
>#   3 - Full multiuser mode
>#   4 - unused
>#   5 - X11
>#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
>
>2. Check the network service
>
>[root at aftp ~]# service network status
>Configured devices:
>lo eth0
>Currently active devices:
>lo eth0
>
>To turn the network on, 'service network start'.
>To make the change permanent, issue the command, 'chkconfig network on'
>
>Also, make sure the the eth0 device is configured properly:
>
>cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>DEVICE="eth0"
>BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
>HWADDR="AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF"
>NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
>ONBOOT="yes"
>TYPE="Ethernet"
>UUID="74b5e66b-267d-4b5e-8188-9e01f24cf69c"
>
>regards
>
>russell

Russell, and Mark:

Here's what I get:

If I do a netinstall and select "Desktop", everything seemed to work
out of the box.  However, I really didn't want that much software
installed, so I tried installing "minimal".

I then get:

Runlevel is N 3
Network Status reveals three configured devices, and active are "lo eth0"

ifcfg-eth0 is as you describe

Performing "service network start" and "chkconfig network on" and a
reboot did not solve the problem.  eth0 had an ipv6 address, but no
inet addr, which means it's not going to work in my home network.

I then added to the file /etc/sysctl.conf
  the line: net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
and rebooted.

Still no IP address, and when I issued "service network restart" I get:
   failed:  no link present.  Check cable?

HOWEVER, pulling the ethernet cable and re-inserting it, then issuing
"service network restart" got a valid address.   After a reboot,
again it didn't work.  However, after waiting a while, I tried
"network start", got some messages about a file existing, and got an
IP address.

This seems strange.  But, the computer is now up and accessing the
internet for YUM updates.

David