[CentOS] mce error

Ted Miller tedlists at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 16 01:46:29 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 01:22 AM, Banyan He wrote:
> 1. ls /lib/modules/2.6.32-279.el6.i686/kernel/drivers/edac | grep mce

It exists

> If you can find the module there, go to step 2
> 2. modprobe edac_mce_amd

That works

> 3. lsmod | grep mce # verify if it loads

That verifies, even after a reboot.  (Didn't try it before step 2, so don't
know if it was already loaded.)

> If that is not your case, it is the problem with mcelog itself. I'm not
> 100% confident on these conclusion but the code seems wrong here.
>
> if (!strcmp(vendor,"AuthenticAMD")) {
>    if (family == 15)
>       cputype = CPU_K8;
>    if (family >= 15)
>      SYSERRprintf("AMD Processor family %d: Please load edac_mce_amd module.\n", family);
>    return 0;
>
> Your CPU family is 15. Whatever you do, you will reach here since the check
> is called just after the main is launched.

I'm not much at C programming, but the way I read that, I will hit the
"return 0" statement no matter what the family number, even if it is less
than 15.  Any CPU that matches the
    !strcmp(vendor,"AuthenticAMD")
expression is going to get to the
    return 0
line eventually.  The two intermediate if statements only determine if a
value is set for 'cputype' and if the warning statement gets printed before
you arrive at the
    return 0
line.  You are going to get there whether your family number is 1 or 100.

I found source code online (had a comment about being edited two months
ago) for the is_cpu_supported routine.  Looking at the whole thing, I see
what appear (to my inexperienced eye) two program flow errors.

1. The issue you pointed out, where the third 'if' statement looks like it
should be '>', not '>='.

2. It looks like there should be braces around the two statements following
the third 'if' statement.  Then it would look like:

    if (!strcmp(vendor,"AuthenticAMD")) {
      if (family == 15)
        cputype = CPU_K8;
      if (family > 15) {
        SYSERRprintf("AMD Processor family %d: Please load edac_mce_amd
module.\n", family);
        return 0;}

That construction would allow Family=15 to be supported.  The mcelog error
message lists k8 as a supported CPU (but I wonder if it has ever been tested?)

Without these changes, my eye says that all AMD CPUs are rejected (return
0), and never get to the accepted criteria (return 1)

> if (!cpu_forced && !is_cpu_supported()) {
> fprintf(stderr, "CPU is unsupported\n");
> exit(1);
> }
>
> The routine is_cpu_supported reads the data from /proc/cpuinfo for the
> family number. You got stuck here then. You can change the code from ">=15"
> to "> 15".
>
> ------------
> Banyan He
> Blog: http://www.rootong.com
> Email: banyan at rootong.com

I don't have source code downloaded, nor have I done much
building/compiling, but I would be willing to try to solve this.  Maybe I
can contribute a little bit back to the project this way.

Does anyone else read the code the way I do, or am I missing something
completely?
Ted Miller
Indiana, USA