[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 - KDE login screen configuration problems

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Nov 21 12:00:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 18:45 +0100, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> John Horne wrote:

> > I basically set the same settings, using the same method, as I did for
> > my Fedora PC. As said, that works. So configuring KDE using the 'system
> > settings' works in Fedora, but not in CentOS.
>
> well, *are* you using kdm?? what's the output of
> ps aux | egrep 'kdm|gdm'

Fedora is using KDM, CentOS GDM. I came across this
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s2-sysconfig-desktop.html

and set '/etc/sysconfig/desktop' accordingly, so now we have KDM running
and most of the settings have taken effect.

Still get the 30 second logout confirmation timer, but not so worried
about that.

I find it very odd, to say the least, that if I tell CentOS/RHEL 6 to
install KDE and not Gnome, it goes ahead and uses GDM rather than KDM.
With no indication either that the settings for the login screen will
have no effect.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001