[CentOS] cannot install glibc.i686 on x86_64

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Nov 23 15:16:41 UTC 2012

On 11/23/2012 06:46 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote on Thu, 22 Nov 2012 20:11:17 -0600:
>
> Thank you both for the replies.
> This was my own mistake combined with some depsolving weirdness of yum.
>
> I have 386 and 686 excluded from the repo's because of the greediness to
> install all versions of a package. At least in earlier versions of the 5.x
> series.
>
> When I first hit the error I checked and commented out the line. But there
> was no change with the error. I looked on mirror.centos.org and there was
> no glibc-common.i686. (Didn't look in updates then, but did now, there's
> really none.)
>
> My mistake was that I commented out the exclude for the base repo, but not
> for updates. After commenting out for updates there is no problem to get
> glibc.i686. And it doesn't ask for glibc-common.
>
> Seems there is a dependency in the i686 package that is resolved by the
> x86_64 package of glibc-common, but as I was accidentally trying to
> install an older version of glibc.i686 the installed newer version didn't

There is a better way to only get the i[3,6]86 packages you want and not
get the rest.

Use this option in yum.conf INSTEAD of excluding i386/i686 packages:

multilib_policy=best

Here is some info on this option:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Software_Management_Guide/ch04s07.html

The only problem is that for CentOS-5.x anaconda initially installs with
the equivalent setting of "all" ... so what I do on new installs is a
minimal install, remove i[3,6]86 rpms, add "multilib_policy=best" to
/etc/yum.conf, then configure the server the way I want.

You can add specific i[3,6]86 packages and they will continue to get
updates, etc ... BUT, only x86_64 will be used when installing new
packages unless you specifically also install i[3,6]86

This is the default for CentOS-6, except anaconda actually installs this
way too, so you don't need to remove i[3,6]86 packages.