[CentOS] scary messages from autoconf

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 27 20:19:18 UTC 2012

On 11/27/12 8:31 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> That said, 'twould be nice to have a clue
> what went wrong with the Bingo script.

it was written for a specific ubuntu/debian flavor and not tested
elsewhere.   autoconf is a gnarly thing, the scripts for it need to be
carefully developed, just because what you do with it works on a single
platform does NOT automatically mean it will work on all platforms.

its possible you're missing one or more -devel packages for something it
needs.  its possible its looking for stuff in debian specific locations
and on EL they are somewhere else.  its possible it depends on some
specific version of a system library or developer tool or whatever and
EL5/6 uses a different version.

I note there's a source package on that AVR site, it might be worth
trying to build from there.   optimally, get that to build, then package
it as an RPM, and get it into one of the more popular repositories, and
all that 'repos are bad' nonsense goes away.