[CentOS] lost udp packets

James Pifer

jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Oct 4 13:40:19 UTC 2012

I have a CentOS release 5.8 that has snmp traps being sent to it. I've
been trying to forward the snmp traps to another system. I've tried
forwarding with snmpd/snmptrapd, iptables, and some forwarding programs.
I can see snmp traps getting delivered to the system with tcpdump and
wireshark, but no matter what app I run, the traps do not appear to be
reaching the application or port 162. It seems like the packets are
possibly being dropped right away.

iptables is wide open:

# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

If I run the apps I can see port 162 open and closed depending on what I
have running, so I'm sure there's not a specific app running already on
that port.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be happening to these packets and
why they might not be reaching port 162 on this host?

Thanks,
James