[CentOS] Installing a gnome-desktop on CENTOS-6.3 following minimal system install.

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Oct 5 13:39:45 UTC 2012

Nux! wrote:
> On 05.10.2012 14:31, Nux! wrote:
>> On 05.10.2012 14:05, James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>>> So what is it that I am missing?  What other step is required to get
>>> my 'normal' gnome desktop with the utilities ans such displayed in
>>> the title bar?
>>
>> Try:
>> yum groupinstall "Desktop" "Desktop Platform" "General Purpose
>> Desktop"
>>
>> Btw, you can't really have "minimal" AND "gnome" ... :-)

<snip>
Yeah... they keep changing the group names, for no good reason AFAIK. For
example, between 5 and 6, they changed KDE from "KDE (K Desktop
Environment)" to  "KDE Desktop". Note that we groupinstall "X Window
System" and Desktop, and *then* the KDE; I'd assume gnome was the same.

       mark, confirmed gnome disliker (and hater of gnome 3)