[CentOS] X/Display resolution configuration

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:21:05 UTC 2012

On Monday, 8. October 2012. 12.52.18 Mike Watson wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 12:38 PM, Nux! wrote:
> > On 08.10.2012 18:20, Mike Watson wrote:
> >> I've installed CentOS 6.3 on a new system. I've a nagging problem
> >> that
> >> I'm trying to fix---the screen resolution changes. I've a flat screen
> >> monitor that has 1600x900 capability. However when I logout and then
> >> log
> >> back in the resolution changes to 1280x1024.  When I looked at the
> >> xorg.conf.d directory it was empty---both in /etc and in /usr/share.
> >>
> >> Where is xorg.conf and it's monitor section now? BTW, I'm use KDE.
> >
> > On Gnome you would use gnome-display-properties to set the resolution.
> > Not sure if it works on KDE though.
>
> Tried that. It's present in KDE, too. I've set it numerous times but the
> next time I logout and back in, the resolution drops to a lower density.
> Where is this value stored in 6.3. My previous box, Fedora 7 used Xorg
> but I can't find the Xorg.conf file for 6.3. All I've found so far is an
> empty directory.

KDE/Gnome is irrelevant, the monitor resolution is controlled by X. The proper
way to troubleshoot these issues is to provide us with the output of "xrandr",
and the complete log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, for both the correct- and wrong-
resolution sessions. It is possible that your monitor is not providing the
correct EDID data, or you have two monitors plugged in at the same time, or
something similar. Please provide the logs and describe your setup (graphics
card, video driver, number of monitors, etc.), and then we should be able to
tell you what is going on and why.

As for the xorg.conf file, it does not exist anymore by default, unless you
create one yourself. The proper path is /etc/X11/xorg.conf . Write the part of
configuration that you need customized (other stuff you can leave to be
autodetected).

HTH, :-)
Marko