[CentOS] Setting PS1 for ordinary users

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Oct 10 18:42:32 UTC 2012

CentOS-6

When I login as root I see this prompt:

[root at vhost04 ~]#

When I login as a non-priviledged user I see this instead:

sh-4.1$

.bashrc and .bash_profile have identical contents in /root and
/home/user.  What causes the difference?  Why?  How does one change
the default so that all normal users get a [userid at hostname pwd]$
prompt?

I have loked in/etc/profile.d and /etc/bashrc and I cannot see what
condition is triggering the different behaviour.

Canada  L8E 3C3