[CentOS] migrating from Centos 5.8 -> 6.3 LDAP Client Config

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Oct 13 01:47:06 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 05:28 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:
> Thanks. Can you tell me why not to use the SSSD? Im not yet familiar
> with it, but found some postings in the web and will try to understand it.
>
> Or is 'nlscd' just the old school way and SSSD the new one?

The old school way was pam_ldap and nss_ldap.  nlscd was written to
address some architectural shortcomings in nss_ldap, and so was sssd.

I would definitely go with sssd.  Its caching is much better, so it's
going to scale much better.  It's the default mechanism in Fedora
releases, so if you need to compare configuration to another client OS
you'll be better equiped.