[CentOS] setting up postfix

Benjamin Hackl b.hackl at focusmr.com
Tue Oct 16 18:03:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:19:09 -0600
Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really don't know the answer to that question. The scenario is that
> they run a django based web app, and they wanted me to add a password
> recovery feature to it. When I did that, and it tried to send the
> recovery link to the user, it failed with 'SMTPServerDisconnected.' I
> thought, of course, there is no SMTP server running, so I set upon
> getting postfix running. As I said in my initial post, I've never done
> that before. I'm a developer, not an admin ;-)

Ok. You might try to use a smarthost, that's the outgoing smtp
server of your company.

/etc/postfix/main.cf should look like this
myorigin=yourdomain.com
relayhost=smtp.of.yourdomain.com
#inet_interfaces=loopback-only
local_transport=error: disabled

And then
service postfix reload

If you need authentification (e.g. username + password) append the
following additional lines into main.cf

smtp_sasl_auth_enable=yes
smtp_sasl_security_options=noanonymous
# see
#smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter=plain
#debug_peer_list=smtp.of.yourdomain.com
#debug_peer_level=3
#smtp_use_tls=yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/relay_password

Write the following line in /etc/postfix/relay_password
smtp.of.yourdomain.com  username:password

Create the database with

postmap /etc/postfix/relay_password

the debug options might help you if there is some trouble sending mail
(log file). Always check the postfix queue with

postqueue -p

and your mailserver log

/var/log/maillog

Note: For authentication you probably need the cyrus-sasl and
cyrus-sasl-* packages.

HTH, Brgds

--
Freundliche Gruesse/Best Regards