[CentOS] Rsync - include only files containing matching string

Sean Carolan

scarolan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:35:35 UTC 2012

I have a string, "2012_10_16"; let's call this $YESTERDAY

How can I rsync a file tree from a remote machine to the local one,
including *only* filenames that contain the matching string?  I've
read the man page and googled around but can't seem to get the syntax
right.  I either end up syncing all the files, or none of them.
Here's how the code looks now (I will remove the dry run once it is
working):

rsync -avz --dry-run --include=*$YESTERDAY* remotehost:remotedir/
localdir/transfer/