[CentOS] centos 5 and php53

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Oct 17 17:54:06 UTC 2012

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/14/12 10:18 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> I have a long running webserver, runs a bunch of mostly php+postgresql
>> stuff, mostly hobby sites (clubs and local scout troops and such).   has
>> latest updates to php 5.2.10-xx  but I want to install something thats
>> insisting on php53.   If I try and yum install php53, it says it
>> conflicts with php-5.2.10 ...
>
> so, upon more digging, I figured out this php-5.2.10 had come from
> c5-testing or somethign, and was no longer there.  I hooked up to IUS
> and installed their php52 as it turns out other stuff I'm running claims
> not to work with 5.3 without me oding a whole bunch of major
> upgrading/reimlementing of webpiles...    so IUS set me up with 5.2.17
> and I'm happy.  The thing I was installing wanted at least 5.2.11

You really want to talk to the folks whose website(s) it/they are, and
point out to them that php 5.2 is obsolete, and full of bugs and security
holes, and sooner or later *all* maintenance will go away, and they will
be SOL, and they need to be thinking about porting it to 5.3 soon, as in
starting last month.

       mark