[CentOS] Centos 5.8: starting firefox-16.0.1 kills X

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 22:00:54 UTC 2012

On 18/10/12 21:18, fred smith wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 04:10:32PM -0400, fred smith wrote:

>>> Confirmed.
>>>
>>> FF 16.0.1 from the mozilla site crashes X on CentOS 5.8 32-bit and
>>> 64-bit if the latest NVIDIA drivers are installed (304.51).  If the
>>> older drivers (295.71) are used, it seems to be OK.  It's also OK if
>>> the NVIDIA drivers are not used.  Also seems to be OK on CentOS 6.3.
>>> I haven't tried older revisions of the 304 series driver.
>>
>> but I'm using 290.10, and have been for a few months. it just now
>> started doing this. very strange.
>
> So, I reinstalled the same Nvidia driver (290.10) and now FF 16.0.1
> works! Go figure. I guess some file may have gotten hosed, somehow.

The reason is that the NVIDIA installer overwrites some distro files
with it's own version of some libs, in this case the offending file is
/usr/lib{64}/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

So you install the nvidia drivers and everything works just fine, for
months.

Then last week an update was released for xorg-x11-server-Xorg which in
turn re-overwrites the nvidia lib with the distro lib and you see the
error you reported earlier along with the symptoms you describe.

Then you reinstalled the nvidia drivers which of course over wrote the
newly updated distro version of libglx.so (again) and everything was
back working as before.

The solution is not to use the NVIDIA provided binary drivers but
instead to use the same drivers properly packaged by elrepo for your
distro. The elrepo rpm package installs these libs to a separate
directory where they will not conflict with the original distro libs and
you will void this type of mess. Not to mention you don't need to
reinstall the drivers every time there is a new kernel update.