[CentOS] Skype and Sound

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Fri Oct 19 15:32:07 UTC 2012

On 19.10.2012 16:15, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have installed Skype 4.0.0.8 on my new workstation running
> CentOS-6.3 (kvm) and the Gnome DTM.  This host has an Intel DG43GT
> motherboard with on-board audio.  The sound works when tested in the
> sound preferences in the desk top.
>
> Skype runs and the integrated usb video and microphone both work (I
> infer this from the mic test in Skype options showing movement on the
> intensity bar as I can hear nothing).
>
> I have gone through all of the choices in the audio setting and none
> of them work.  Are there any other packages or settings I should have
> installed or set to get audio working in skype?

James,

It should just work. The only problem I had was switching from the
laptop's microphone to the one that came with my headphones since it's
more performant. I did this by selecting it in the sound preferences
(gnome-volume-control).
Also, make sure you have installed the 32 bit pulseaudio libs, if
you're on 64bit; or you can "yum install" this repo which will pull in
the required deps:
http://repo.fedoramd.org/mirrors/russianfedora/nonfree/el/updates/6/x86_64/skype-4.0.0.8-1.el6.R.i586.rpm

Nux!
www.nux.ro