[CentOS] Skype and Sound

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Fri Oct 19 18:35:40 UTC 2012

On 19.10.2012 19:30, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 08:21 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, October 19, 2012 11:32, Nux! wrote:
>>
>>> James,
>>>
>>> It should just work. The only problem I had was switching from the
>>> laptop's microphone to the one that came with my headphones since
>>> it's
>>> more performant. I did this by selecting it in the sound
>>> preferences
>>> (gnome-volume-control).
>>> Also, make sure you have installed the 32 bit pulseaudio libs, if
>>> you're on 64bit; or you can "yum install" this repo which will pull
>>> in
>>> the required deps:
>>>
>>> http://repo.fedoramd.org/mirrors/russianfedora/nonfree/el/updates/6/x86_64/skype-4.0.0.8-1.el6.R.i586.rpm
>>
>> Your package works fine.  Thank you very much.  I checked the
>> dependencies against what was installed as x86_64 versions and cold
>> find nothing missing.  Do you happen to know, or strongly suspect,
>> why
>> the 32 bit version works and the 64 bit version does not?
>>

> As I can see, only Ubuntu and debian have 64-bit versions of Skype.
> Have
> you found somewhere 64-bit version for fedora/EL?

There is no 64bit version of Skype.
The Ubuntu one is a fake 64bit package btw, all it contains is the same
lousy i586 binary, that's why we need the 32bit version of the libs.
The RPM from Russianfedora differs from the official one, it actually
installs a statically linked binary which seems more stable.

HTH

Nux!
www.nux.ro