[CentOS] Skype and Sound

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Oct 19 18:58:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

> From: Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Skype and Sound
>
> James B. Byrne wrote:
>
>> Skype runs and the integrated usb video and microphone both work (I
>> infer this from the mic test in Skype options showing movement on the
>> intensity bar as I can hear nothing).
>
> Have you looked at the Wiki page on Skype at
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype ?
>
> Have you tried running alsamixer in a terminal and checking that all
> the options and volumes are correct? For me, by default, the volume on
> the USB headset was zero.
>
> Yves Bellefeuille

Good Point there Yves.

On Centos 5.8 when I use my USB WebCam with built-in
microphone, I have to open a terminal and run alsamixer -c1
to select the built-in 'soundcard' on the WebCam.

The volume defaults to zero, and I use alsamixer to turn it
the volume right up to 100% before I run Skype.

HTH

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net