[CentOS] r8712u wireless driver

David A. De Graaf

dad at datix.us
Sun Oct 21 21:11:54 UTC 2012

I've just installed centos 6.3 for the first time on a test machine and
couldn't be happier - except that a critical wireless adapter driver is
missing - the r8712u.  I would love to convert my mythtv machine from
Fedora 17 to centos 6.3 to put all that chaos and instability behind me.

My mythtv machine connects only wirelessly to the rest of my network
and uses a Rosewill RNX-N180UBE USB adapter.  This adapter has a larger
than normal antenna with 5db of gain and supports 802.11n protocol.
This provides greater bandwidth and a more reliable connection than
any previously tested wireless adapter.

However, it requires the r8712u driver that is absent from centos 6.3
and all the repos that I've examined.  The elrepo repo has a number of
packages that are close, but unfortunately not the r8712u.

This driver is available for Fedora 17 in the kmod-staging package.
Is there any chance to adapt this package for centos 6.3?
Or at least the r8712u driver portion thereof?

Any suggestions to solve this dilemma?

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us