[CentOS] Virtualization Options!

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Oct 31 21:52:07 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 01:40 PM, Antonio da Silva Martins Junior wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm searching for "virtualization options". I already take a look on
> VMware, but it needs too much MS software to work for my needs. Citrix needs
> less, but the key validation is still MS-AD.
>
>    Now I'm taking a look at RHEV... and run into Oracle VM! Somebody had already
> take a look at Oracle VM?
>
>    We need in primary a solid VM solution for an "enterprise cloud" running
> on top of some old and new Dell servers in conjunction with an EMC Cx4-120
> storage.
>
>    We had plans to provide "desktop virtualization" in the future, most to
> labs class, and maybe adminstrative tasks. But it isn't necessary now.
>
>    Anybody had some other options to tell?
>
>    Thanks in advance,
>

>          Antonio.

I use KVM on RHEL (not RHEV specifically) and the VMs (linux, windows,
*bsd, solaris) are perform very well. I actually couple this to Red
Hat's cluster suite and Linbit's DRBD to make the VMs highly available.
I've got this setup in production in several locations around north
america going back to when 6.0 was released, and it's been fantastic.

If you're interested, here is exactly how I do it;

https://alteeve.ca/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial

All open source (and free-as-in-beer on CentOS)!

--
Digimer
access to education?