[CentOS] CentOs6- Use nscd for offline LDAP

Johan Vermeulen

jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be
Wed Sep 5 07:40:47 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I'm thinking about connecting the 15 or so laptops in our organisation
to LDAP.

Now I'm trying to use nscd in order to enable the users to work when
being offline.

The test laptop is installed for this occasion, updated CentOs6.3.

Following the advise I found on a few posts I modified */etc/nscd.conf :

*

         server-user             nscd

         logfile                 /var/log/nscd.log

         debug-level             3

         reload-count            unlimited

         paranoia                no

         enable-cache            passwd          yes

         positive-time-to-live   passwd          3600

         negative-time-to-live   passwd          20

         suggested-size          passwd          211

         check-files             passwd          yes

         persistent              passwd          yes

         shared                  passwd          yes

         enable-cache            group           yes

         positive-time-to-live   group           3600

         negative-time-to-live   group           60

         suggested-size          group           211

         check-files             group           yes

         persistent              group           yes

         shared                  group           yes

         enable-cache            hosts           yes

I also Modified*/etc/nsswitch.conf*and changed the order after passwd - shadow - group :

passwd: ldap files
shadow: file ldap
group: ldap files

*This seems to work.*

* When stopping nscd, LibreOffice gives the EM:

/The application cannot be started.
A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration.

/*When starting nscd LibreOffice just works.

*When enabling nscd a can su to an LDAP user from root, without nscd the user does not exist.

*But the problem I'm having*  is

I was kinda hoping to log back in from a locked screen or from hibernation, in other words continue a running session.
Or who knows, even start a new session.

Can anyone help me make this work?
Thanks for any advise

Greetings, James