[CentOS] odd dependency

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 7 15:26:28 UTC 2012

Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 07.09.2012 um 16:21 schrieb m.roth at 5-cent.us:
>> I'm putting the finishing touches on a new server, which will be
>> replacing an old one. It's got a non-rpm ruby package (I hear lots of
not-nice
>> things about the RH package). The new server had ruby installed, so I
>> went to yum remove it.
>>
>> And it removed ibutils as a dependency of ruby or ruby-libs.
>>
>> rpm -qi of ibutils tells me
>> Summary     : OpenIB Mellanox InfiniBand Diagnostic Tools
>> Description :
>> ibutils provides IB network and path diagnostics.
>>
>> On 5.8, it's installed, and ruby isn't. Anyone have any idea why
>> Infiniband utils should be required for ruby?
>
> just to test - try:
>
>  yum install ruby
>
> here (5.8) no ibutils rpm will be
> installed to satisfy a ruby dependency.

Right - sorry, the new server's 6.3. Actually, I've just tried, and must
be missing something, because now doing just what you suggested, which I
*thought* I'd done before, it only wants to install ruby-libs, not
iputils, nor, for that matter, graphviz-(whatsit).

My manager figures that there's a ruby script in ibutils, which makes sense.

      mark, unimpressed with the faddish language of the year