[CentOS] ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Karl Vogel vogelke+centos at pobox.com
Fri Sep 14 19:06:15 UTC 2012

>> On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:09:46 +0200 (CEST),
>> "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti at nexaima.net> said:

M> Yesterday I completed (fingers crossed) the switch to a different ADSL
M> provider. From the moment I turned on the modem on the new ADSL line, I
M> became unable to ssh into server A. All attempts abort with this
M> message:
M>    ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

   This is in the "grasping at straws" category, but have you tried
   connecting with a different cipher, like "blowfish" or "3des-cbc"?

   If/as/when you get access to the server, can you disable TCP checksum
   offloading?

   root# ethtool -K eth0 tx off rx off
   root# ethtool -t eth0 offline             # adapter self-test

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company
A sum of accountants     --collective nouns, June 1999 LINGUIST