[CentOS] DRM EDID Error

Eugene Poole

etpoole60 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 03:11:01 UTC 2012

I'm running the following hardware:

    MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard
    With a AMI v1.7 BIOS
    AMD Phenom II X6 (1055T)
    8 GB RAM (2 x 4 GB DIMM)
    nVidia Geforce 7300 (G72) video Card
    ViewSonic VA2431wvm monitor
    Plus

The OS is:

    CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
    2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.centos.plus.x86_64

Actually, on this machine I'm getting the following error during bootup:

    [drm:drm_edid_block_valid} *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid,
    remainder is (222; 122; 251; but mostly 128)

 From time to time the video locks up and sometimes goes black.  But the
keyboard and mouse usage can be seen via lights blinking whei I enter
something on the keyboard.  And I can see what I entered when the
display returns.

I know the monitor, keyboard, and mouse are not the problem because I
have 3 machines on a KVM using the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Could this be my video card going bad? I read another posting where it
was suggested to add 'Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"' into the xorg.conf, but
this machine doesn't have a xorg.conf file.

Any information will be helpful.

Gene