[CentOS] NFS problem

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Thu Sep 20 06:50:06 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 23:22:13 Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 09/19/2012 03:00 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > We've been seeing what I gather is an old, traditional problem:
> > kernel: lockd: server<ip address>  not responding, timed out
> >
> > The things I've found, googling, mostly involve rebooting the NFS
> > server, and I can't do that, it's a home directory server for a
> > *bunch* of people, and this is only one person's workstation.
> >
> > Are there other solutions I haven't found yet?
> >
> >         mark

I see the same problem with our student labs every now and then. I
always assumed it was caused by a student power recycling the client
rather than doing a clean reboot to get to Windoze ( dual boot
machines ;-( ) causing NFS to get confused, NFSv3.

It doesn't seem to cause any problems just fills up the server logs
with useless messages. Rebooting the client to Linux usually fixes the
problem.

Tony