[CentOS] Detect if a drive is USB?

Lists lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri Sep 21 19:31:40 UTC 2012

Answering my own message for posterity's sake: This line will output "E:
ID_BUS=usb" for any block
device connected to a USB bus:

udevadm info --query=all --name=$file 2>/dev/null | grep -i BUS=usb;

The basic idea is to
1) use udevadm to get all info on device $file (where $file is a string
like "sde")
     a) send all errors to /dev/null.
2) grep the output of udevadm for the string "BUS=usb" which appears on
USB devices.

Note that you must have $file defined with a device name which I got by
listing the contents of /sys/block.

Good luck! Also, if anybody has a better solution, please reply. The
above appeared to be "good enough"
to finish porting my admin script.

-Ben