[CentOS] 11TB ext4 filesystem - filesystem alternatives?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:38:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> Alternatively you can look at less supported filesystems such as BTRFS.

What do you mean by "less suported" ?

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-japan/bo
---
LinuxCon Japan 2012 | Presentations
"On The Way to a Healthy Btrfs Towards Enterprise"
by  Liu Bo, Fujitsu
---

Let me quote:
"Btrfs has been on full development for about 5 years and it does make
lots of progress on both features and performance, but why does
everybody keep tagging it with ""experimental""? And why do people
still think of it as a vulnerable one for production use? As a goal of
production use, we have been strengthening several features, making
improvements on performance and keeping fixing bugs to make btrfs
stable, for instance, ""snapshot aware defrag"", ""extent buffer
cache"", ""rbtree lock contention"", etc. This talk will cover the
above"
---

>From its web "Liu Bo has been working on linux kernel development
since late 2010 as a Fujitsu engineer. He has been working on
filesystem field and he's now focusing on btrfs development".

RHEL 7 to get Btrfs support
http://www.h-online.com/open/imgs/45/8/8/4/6/5/1/43-6b4e69889ee000ca.png

"RHEL 7 will support ext4, XFS, and Btrfs (boot and data)"

Then you have SuSE:
https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP2/

"With SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2, the btrfs file system joins ext3,
reiserfs, xfs and ocfs2 as *commercially supported file systems*. Each
file system offers disctinct advantages. While the installation
default is ext3, we recommend xfs when maximizing data performance is
desired, and *btrfs as a root file system when snapshotting and
rollback capabilities are required. Btrfs is supported as a root file
system (i.e. the file system for the operating system) across all
architectures of SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP2*. "

https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/oracle_linux_6_update_3

"OL6.3 that boots up uek (2.6.39-200.24.1) as install kernel and uses
btrfs as the default filesystem for installation. So latest and
greatest direct access to btrfs, a modern well-tested, current kernel,
freely available. "

So, again, what´dya mean by "less supported"?. It´s in the mainline
kernel since February so with the adoption by RHEL 7, it´ll become
mainstream sooner rather than later...

Just my $0.02...
FC