[CentOS] load balancer recommendation

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Fri Sep 28 15:31:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?
>
> Thanks.
> Boris.

You need to be more specific about your requirements.  There are basic
IP-based load balancers such as Piranha, and more advanced layer 7
balancers such as HAproxy.  They all have benefits and drawbacks, so
without any further requirements, your question cannot be meaningfully
answered.

What kind of traffic are you balancing?  If HTTP, then do you also
need HTTPS support?  What about session affinity?  What kind of
backend application are you using, and will it support balancing as
well?

❧ Brian Mathis