[CentOS] Don't understand how to re-partition this setup or why it was made like this

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Apr 1 21:31:56 UTC 2013

On 4/1/2013 12:00 PM, Yves S. Garret wrote:
> What I don't understand is why is /home so tiny and how can I re-partition
> this without having to nuke and rebuild my machine?

what do you get from

     # vgs

?

if there's VFree, you can lvextend the backing LV behind /home, then
grow the file system to use that additional space.

# lvextend -L +8G vg_ysg/lv_home
# resize2fs /home

if there's no VFree, and you want everything in /   you could reboot to
single user mode, and do something like...

# cd /
# mkdir /home2
# mv /home/* /home2       # this will take awhile
# umount /home
# rmdir /home
# mv /home2 /home

and vi /etc/fstab and remove the mount for /home

now, you can lvremove vg_ysg/lv_home   to free up the space it used
(will probably need a --force), then lvextend the vg_ysg/lv_root volume,
and grow /that/ file system to suit.

note.  I typed all that off the top of my head.  TRUST NOTHING, VERIFY
EVERYTHING, UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF EVERY COMMAND YOU ARE DOING!!!
Caveat Emptor.