[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Robert Benjamin benjie1 at cox.net
Tue Apr 2 15:44:52 UTC 2013

On 04/01/2013 06:20 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> On 4/1/2013 2:07 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Robert Benjamin wrote:

>>>        Looking for the book you recommended by Fraesch: Essential Systems
>>> Administration. Tried a local Barnes and Noble store and the author's
>>> name is different. They have it as Frisk, same title. Third Edition.
>>> Hope it's the same book. Can you double check please. I assume this is
>>> at a level I can deal with. Thanks.
>>>
>> They can't spell. On the cover is a non-ascii char, that when I was a kid
>> in school, was the way some books spell Caesar, with the "a" and the "e"
>> sharing a line.
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Essential-System-Administration-Third-Frisch/dp/0596003439>
>>
>> As I may have said, everyone I know in computers has a number of books
>> from this publisher - he specializes in not only finding people who
>> really, really know their subject, but CAN ALSO COMMUNICATE WHAT THEY KNOW
>> (as opposed to, say, the BAL textbook I had in college, many years ago,
>> that if I could have gotten the rights to, I'd put all the pharmaceutical
>> co's market for sleeping pills out of business....)
>>
>>           mark

>       Thanks. I'll browse the bookstore for books from O'Reilly Publisher
> and see what appeals to me. Texts can be boring as I well know as an
> Assoc Prof, retired, and many are sooo borrrring it is a shame. Anyhow,
> will look and I'm sure I'll find somethig suitable.
>
> Bob

     Have inconsistency in getting it to let me login. Yesterday no
luck. At '$ runlevel'  got  5    3 so it must have been at runlevel 3.
startx no help, back to blue screen. Today, just started it first time
and it booted right to GUI login screen. All is OK that has been set up
like email, FF, printer etc. Checked Pref/System/Network Connection and
the box is greyed out. Pref/SysytemNetwork Proxy only 'Direct Internet
connection' is ticked. Everything else is greyed out. Ran updates also.
This happened a few days back and was fine as long as I stay logged in.
Re-boot or shutdown was not good. Couldn't log in again. Then
surprisingly today it is back.  WTF ? Other HDs are OK and work reliably.

Bob