[CentOS] Repartitioning issues - advice needed, and info.

Paul Norton pnorton3.14 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 21:25:37 UTC 2013

Hello Bruce

All you need is a terminal/shell

ssh validusername at ipaddress

then type

vgdisplay

which is under

man lvm

Another route: From centos dvd select rescue and follow instructions

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-rescuemode.html#Rescue_Mode-x86

Check file privileges on drupal. I've head some funny stories from some
severs running wordpress (to do with lack of privileges around upload
folder not wordpress)

what do your logs say in
 /var/log/
what does

dmesg

All the best Paul

On 2 April 2013 20:33, Bruce Whealton <bruce at futurewaveonline.com> wrote:

> --
> > john r pierce                                      37N 122W
> > somewhere on the middle of the left coast
> >
> > Hello  Bruce
> This is a great start ->
> https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54
>
> >What Database do you have on you server?  Where did you create the data
> dir?
> On the home/business system, I have mysql.  By data directory, do you mean,
> apache web directory? I did setup owncloud and installed that inside my
> first virtual host.  So, the apache data directory is at: /var/www/
> I mapped the domain futurewavewebhosting.com to the location first
> specified
> in httpd.conf, which is /var/www/html/public_html/
> So, owncloud is in /var/www/html/public_html/owncloud
> Just to be able to figure out how to setup virtual hosts, I setup them at
> /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/
>

> >Do you have wordpress running? under httpd (apache)?
> I have drupal, and owncloud, and some other small scripts I developed.
>
> > Do you have a mail server running?
> I started setting that up but couldn't get it to send to an external
> domain.
> It may be my ISP blocks that port.
>
> >Please run the script(getinfo.sh) and paste to pastebin.
> I'll try.  I can get in with the liveDVD.  When I do that the other
> directories are locked and so the script needs to be run when I am not
> using
> liveDVD.  The problem seems to be when it tries to create a tmp file for
> vnc.  The idea was to get to my desktop from my other computer using
> tightvnc on my windows system.  Maybe the tmp file directory is full for
> root only.  I can get to the login prompt.  I'll try one of the other
> usernames.
> Otherwise, I need a way to see if I can get into the system without loading
> the GNOME desktop, just the terminal.  Then I need a way to tell it "Put
> the
> temp files for vnc into this much bigger partition.
>

> >I'd use fdisk or parted to create a partition. Then set the id/type to 82
> linux swap. Then mkswap on the new drive. Copy the contents of the old swap
> using the dd command to the new drive. Then swapon and swapoff and update
> /etc/fstab. Then free to check new swaps up.
> So, I should be able to create a boot disk that will let me use fdisk or
> parted, which I might already have.
>
> >man lvm
>
> Read more about lvm here.
>
> http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Adding_a_New_Disk_to_a_CentOS_6_Volume_G
> roup_and_Logical_Volume
>
> >All the best Paul
>
> For the dedicated host that I have, is there a way to shrink one partition
> to free up space for another, to expand another partition?
> Thanks,
> Bruce

* "I know one thing: That I know nothing"* - Socrates
*"We're all explorers here"* - T S Eliot