[CentOS] nfs timeout

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Sun Apr 7 17:39:28 UTC 2013

Rita wrote:
> hi,
>
> I use automounter to mount to many hosts
>
> /net/<hostname>/dir
>
> When the hostname is unavaliable it seems NFS gets stuck. I would like to
> set a NFS timeout (say 60 secs). If not available then error. I need to use
> hardmount but is there such a thing as NFS client timeout?

If the client has already mounted the server using the hard option - and
then the server goes away, the client will hang on the mount point until
the server reappears - there is no such thing as a 'timeout' with hard
mounts ...

However, if you mean reducing the mount failure timeout when the client
attempts to mount a server that is not available, then have a look at
the NFS 'retry' option in the nfs man page

But if you are using /etc/auto.net to automount under /net, then this
uses showmount to find exported mounts from a server, so will error
fairly quickly anyway if the server is available

James Pearson