[CentOS] floppy drives

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Apr 8 00:23:31 UTC 2013

On 04/07/13 19:53, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 07:35:17PM -0400, mark wrote:
>>>
>>> ls -l /dev/fd?
>>>
>>> What do you see?
>>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr  7 15:03 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd/
>
> Interesting as that doesn't match the pattern /dev/fd?
>
>> And, while we're at it, ll of /dev/floppy shows
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr  7 15:03 /dev/floppy -> fd0
>
> fd0 should have been shown by the ls -l /dev/fd? pattern so is that a
> broken link?
>
> "lsmod | grep floppy" - does it show the floppy module loaded?
>
> If "ls -l /dev/fd0*" does not show a series of device nodes try:
>
> "/sbin/MAKEDEV fd0"
>
> and retry the operations that are failing.
>
> If this still fails ensure that the device is enabled in the system's
> bios.  Speaking of that, is the device seen at boot time?
>
> "dmesg | grep ^Floppy" or "grep ^Floppy /var/log/dmesg" should show fd0
> and a size.

Ok, ll /dev/fd - which is a directory - shows it pointing to
/proc/self/fd/. Under tghat is 0-3, where 0-2 are links to /dev/pts/0,
*all* the same. 3 is a link to /proc/5038/fd/, which does not exist.

Is it time to try MAKEDEV?

	mark

--
And yet less thanks have we than you. Users scowl at us, and reporters
give us scornful names. "Geek" I am to one fat man who lives a firewall