[CentOS] floppy drives

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Apr 8 16:40:55 UTC 2013

On 4/8/2013 7:58 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Good thought... but I think I had one of them disconnected before I took
> my system down yesterday and connected both. I will note that the 5.25"
> one's light does seem to stay on, regardless.

OH.   another rusty old memory.  if you plugged a floppy cable in upside
down (only possible if the cable wasn't keyed, but I remember quite a
few that werent), it grounded both drive select and write select, and
the drive would write nulls (or something) all over any track that was
seeked to, without even sector formatting.   this would, of course,
erase any disk you inserted.  also, the LED would stay on.