[CentOS] floppy drives

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Apr 9 17:32:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:21:10PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 10:19:33 -0400
> > m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >
> >> Hmmm... didn't see it mounted, but I'll try more tonight. Last night
> >> included a) playing with system, and b) finishing up our federal
> >> taxes....
> >
> > If you're going to use mtools to do your copying, you don't need to mount
> > the disks.
>
> mtools is a desperation move, since I haven't actually read anything from
> anything yet. As I mentioned, I *may* have an old drive head cleaner
> somewhere - since it's not been used in about a decade, I'm thinking of
> corrosion or crud.
>
> I also can't seem to find the USB 3.5" drive I borrowed - lsusb sees it
> (at least since the last reboot), but trying to find it to mount it is
> something I'm still digging at, and I doubt mtools can find it.
>
>      mark

As far as I remember (I'm not as young as I used to be, and it's been a
while), the 3.5" USB floppy drive here would recognize a (formatted)
floppy when inserted and mount it automatically, on Centos 5.x.
(assuming it contained a recognizable filesystem...)

now that I"m running 6.4, I haven't tried the floppy drive yet.

(I have piles and stacks and drawers of 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppies with
various stuff stored on 'em. I used that usb drive (and an internal 5.25
inch drive) to grab images of all of them (with dd) which I'll eventually
organize and burn onto CD or DVD, so I can get rid of all the floppies.)

Fred

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.