[CentOS] Strange Postfix problem

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 00:25:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>wrote:

> On 04/10/2013 03:58 AM, tdukes at palmettoshopper.com wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Was trying to setup postfix on my home PC. Running Centos 6.4. I don't
>> have a static IP and use zoneedit and ddclient to keep my installation
>> of zoneminder current.
>>
>> So I decided I wanted to get zoneminder to send me email alerts. Sent
>> some test messages but none were sent.
>>
>> I went to webdnstools website thinking maybe there is a dns or network
>> problem.
>>
>> When it checks my dns setup, everything is fine except the mail server
>> is has the wrong IP address. The A record and the www A record have the
>> correct IP. The IP address its reporting is one that belongs to my ISP.
>>
> sounds like your ISP only allows certain services through and intercepts
> the rest as you do not have a fixed IP.

Consider setting up Postfix to auth (with your ISP email credentials) and
send mail through your ISP's mail server.  I've seen write-ups for using
Gmail in the same way.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/postfix-smtp-authentication-for-mail-servers/

> may want to talk to them as they control the DNS and reverse DNS, both of

Not a bad idea, but if he's in a dynamic pool the ISP is unlikely to help
him out.
Does he really need a static?

> which should be correct for email servers to function correctly.
> Basically, to do an email server you need a fixed IP.

Do you need to receive mail or just send it?
See the URL above if you just need to send.

>> TIA

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //