[CentOS] Strange Postfix problem

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Apr 10 00:37:31 UTC 2013

On 04/10/2013 12:25 PM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/2013 03:58 AM, tdukes at palmettoshopper.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Was trying to setup postfix on my home PC. Running Centos 6.4. I don't
>>> have a static IP and use zoneedit and ddclient to keep my installation
>>> of zoneminder current.
>>>
>>> So I decided I wanted to get zoneminder to send me email alerts. Sent
>>> some test messages but none were sent.
>>>
>>> I went to webdnstools website thinking maybe there is a dns or network
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> When it checks my dns setup, everything is fine except the mail server
>>> is has the wrong IP address. The A record and the www A record have the
>>> correct IP. The IP address its reporting is one that belongs to my ISP.
>>>
>> sounds like your ISP only allows certain services through and intercepts
>> the rest as you do not have a fixed IP.
>>
> Consider setting up Postfix to auth (with your ISP email credentials) and
> send mail through your ISP's mail server.  I've seen write-ups for using
> Gmail in the same way.
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/postfix-smtp-authentication-for-mail-servers/
This effectively shields your email server from the internet - all mail
will appear to come from the ISP's mail IP and thus your dynamic IP will
not matter.
reception of mail will be by whomever the MX record points to - a fixed
IP. you will probably need to use a mail client to retrieve mail from
the ISP provided IMAP server.