[CentOS] Formatting a USB Drive

Jason T. Slack-Moehrle

slackmoehrle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:54:22 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I have a Drobo, connected to a CentOS 6.4 box. The box sees it as /dev/sdg.

I want to format it ext3 (as they dont support ext4) but when I try I get:

# fdisk -u /dev/sdg

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdg'! The util fdisk
doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: The size of this disk is 17.6 TB (17592186044416 bytes).
DOS partition table format can not be used on drives for volumes
larger than (2199023255040 bytes) for 512-byte sectors. Use parted(1) and
GUID
partition table format (GPT).

WARNING: DOS-compatible mode is deprecated. It's strongly recommended to
         switch off the mode (command 'c').

So I run:
# parted
GNU Parted 2.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) select /dev/sdg
Using /dev/sdg
(parted) print
Model: DROBO DroboPro (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdg: 17.6TB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start  End  Size  File system  Name  Flags

(parted)

and looking at an example of creating a partition: (parted) mkpart primary
106 16179

I dont know what to do next since I dont see any partitions listed. I dont
know what do to for the start and end point, although the man page says
"size in MB". Do I just say 0 to (and convert 16.0TB to MB? Yes, I know it
says 17.6 TB but this model drobo can only support partitions up to 16tb
without making a second partition.

Can anyone provide some advice on that I am missing conceptually?

Jason