[CentOS] RAID 6 - opinions

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 15:51:30 UTC 2013

A RAID5 with a hot spare isn't really the same as a RAID6.  For those not familiar with this, a RAID5 in degraded mode (after it lost a disk) will suffer a performance hit, as well as while it rebuilds from a hot spare.  A RAID6 after losing a disk will not suffer.  So, depending on your need for performance, you'll need to decide.
As far as having a spare disk on a RAID6, I'd say it's not necessary.  As long as you have some mechanism in place to inform you if/when a disk fails, you'll not suffer any performance hit.