[CentOS] RAID 6 - opinions

David C. Miller millerdc at fusion.gat.com
Thu Apr 11 23:13:33 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

Just for reference, I have a 24 x 2TB SATAIII using CentOS 6.4 Linux MD RAID6 with two of those 24 disks as hotspares. The drives are in a Supermicro external SAS/SATA box connected to another Supermicro 1U computer with an i3-2125 CPU @ 3.30GHz and 16GB ram. The connection is via a 6Gbit mini SAS cable to an LSI 9200 HBA. Before I deployed it into production I tested how long it would take to rebuild the raid from one of the hot spares and it took a little over 9 hours. I have two 15TB LVM's on it formatted EXT4 with the rest used for LVM snapshot space if needed. Using dd to write a large file to one of the partitions I see about 480MB/s. If I rsync from one partition to another I get just under 200MB/s.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/backup/5GB.img count=5000 bs=1M
5000+0 records in
5000+0 records out
5242880000 bytes (5.2 GB) copied, 10.8293 s, 484 MB/s

David.