[CentOS] RAID 6 - opinions

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Apr 12 20:40:49 UTC 2013

On 4/12/2013 12:11 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Interesting. We're still playing with sizing the RAID sets and volumes.
> The prime consideration for this is that the filesystem utils still have
> problems with > 16TB (and they appear to have been saying that fixing this
> is a priority for at least a year or two <g>), so we wanted to get close
> to that.

I've had no issues with 64bit CentOS 6.2+ on 81TB (74TiB) volumes using
GPT and XFS(*), with or without LVM.

(*) NFS has an issue with large XFS volumes if you export directories
below the root and those directories have large inode numbers.   the
workarounds are to either precreate all directories that are to be
exported before filling up the disk, or specify arbitrary ID#'s less
than 2^32 on the NFS export using fsid=nnn in the /etc/exports entry for
these paths (these ID values have to be unique on that host).  this is a
stupid bug in NFS itself that gets triggered by XFSs use of 64bit inode
numbers.