[CentOS] Asterisk, IAXModem and Hylafax

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Apr 15 15:51:49 UTC 2013

Arch = x86_64
OS = CentOS-6.3 (FreePBX)
Asterisk = 11.3.0 (FreePBX)
Hylafax+ = 5.5.3  (epel)

I am installing an Asterisk server with the intent of having it act as
our fax server.  The Asterisk system was installed using the current
FreePBX distro which is reputedly based on CentOS-6.3. I have
installed Hylafax+ from epel and I have built and packaged
IAXModem-1.2.0 for CentOS-6 using mock and installed that on the
Asterisk host.

I am past the point of setting up Asterisk and configuring extensions
and users.  I am able to place and receive internal calls to and from
SIP devices and place and receive external calls over a PSTN analogue
trunk.  The echo generated by the SIP clients is terrible but that
problem can wait until I get to dealing with voice service
implementation.

At the moment I am trying to get Hylafax configured.  I have done this
in the past albeit for systems using external serial modems.  I am at
the point of running the faxstup utility which builds the necessary
hylafax configuration files.  I am getting these errors from the
utility:

Setting Ghostscript font path in /etc/hylafax/hyla.conf.

Warning: /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts does not exist or is not a
directory!

The directory /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts does not exist or this
file is not a directory.
This is the directory where the HylaFAX client applications expect to
locate font metric information to use in formatting ASCII text for
submission as facsimile.  Without this information HylaFAX may generate
illegible facsimile from ASCII text.

Warning: /usr/share/ghostscript/8.70/Resource/Font does not exist or
is not a directory!

The directory /usr/share/ghostscript/8.70/Resource/Font does not exist
or this file is not a directory.
This is the directory where the HylaFAX client applications expect to
locate font metric information to use in formatting ASCII text for
submission as facsimile.  Without this information HylaFAX may generate
illegible facsimile from ASCII text.

Warning: /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts does not exist or is not a
directory!

The directory /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts does not exist or this file
is not a directory.
This is the directory where the HylaFAX client applications expect to
locate font metric information to use in formatting ASCII text for
submission as facsimile.  Without this information HylaFAX may generate
illegible facsimile from ASCII text.

These packages are installed:
Installed Packages
ghostscript.x86_64      8.70-14.el6_3.1
@anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3
ghostscript-fonts.noarch
                        5.50-23.1.el6
@anaconda-CentOS-201207061011.x86_64/6.3

Can anyone tell me what package I am missing or what else might be
causing the problem?  I realize that this is only tangentially a
CentOS question so I crave the list's forbearance.

Canada  L8E 3C3