[CentOS] New motherboard - kernel panic

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Mon Apr 15 18:39:17 UTC 2013

On 4/15/2013 1:33 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> On 4/12/2013 5:33 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>>> I had to replace the motherboard on one of my CentOS 4 systems and am
>>> now getting a kernel panic.
>>>
>>> When I try to boot up, I get this:
>>>
>>>          Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
>>>        ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally! (pid 448)
>>>        mount: error 6 mounting ext3
>>>        mount: error 2 mounting none
>>>        switchroot: mount failed: 22
>>>        umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
>>>        Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>>>
>>> (I apologize for any typos, I don't have a way to copy/paste from that
>>> screen)
>>>
>>> I can boot up with the boot CD, go into rescue mode and browse the
>>> files, so I know the drives are ok.
>>>
>>> I found some stuff online saying that I should recreate my initrd from
>>> rescue mode if the motherboard changed.  I tried this, but am still
>>> getting the same results.
>> Anyone have any ideas here?  I can rebuild the machine if I have to, but
>> that's a last resort.
> Just sort of guessing - could the new m/b have resulted in a new UUID, and
> the configuration - fstab? hwconf? - is looking for the old?

The drives are in an md array (raid 1) which is used as the PV for the
volume group that is producing the error.  fstab simply references the
logical volume.  LVM configuration refers to /dev/md1.  mdadm.conf
simply says "device partitions".  I can't go any farther than that
without a running system.

--
Bowie