[CentOS] New motherboard - kernel panic

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 19:10:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at buc.com> wrote:

>> CentOS 4 - seriously???
>
> Yea, it's an old system.

If you have somewhere to copy the data,  the best approach would be to
back it up from the rescue-mode boot, reinstall centos 6 and copy back
anything you need - and be good for another many years.

> There is a /etc/modprobe.conf file on the original system.  Among other
> things, it says:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
>
> I assume that refers to the driver for the nvidia chipset.
>
> I found a modprobe.conf file in the rescue environment living in
> /tmp/modprobe.conf.  This one says:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter ahci
>
> I guess that's a driver that works with the new hardware?  I do not have
> the ports in ahci mode in the bios.

lsmod from the running rescue system should show the loaded modules.
Your initrd has to include anything needed to access the hard drive
and filesystem before you can find the others.

> What do I need to do to make sure the driver gets into initrd?  Or do I
> just need to make the change to /etc/modprobe.conf on the hard drive?

I think you would change the /etc/modprobe.conf on the hard drive and
chroot there (/mnt/sysimage) before running mkinitrd.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com