[CentOS] My linux keeps logging me off when I run Firefox (how to debug)?

Rock RockSockDoc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 00:30:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 19:07:46 -0400, Fred Smith wrote:

> Do you have an NVIDIA graphics card?

Yes, I do.
And, come to think of it, I "did" recently run a "yum update".

Maybe the El Repo Nvidia driver has a problem with Firefox?

I remember it was miserable installing the Nvidia driver a
while ago...

Looking at my log file, here's how I had installed the Nvidia
driver from the El Repo repository:

1. I identified my kernel version:
   $ uname -r
   ==> 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64

2. I identified my graphics card
   $ /sbin/lspci -nn | grep VGA
   ==>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT216 [Quadro FX 880M] [10de:0a3c] (rev a2)

3. I identified the latest version of the graphics driver available:
   http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-304.37-driver.html
   Note: I compared this latest version & support information with the
         latest available at El Repo in the next step.

4. I compared the Nvidia version with the latest available El Repo version:
   http://elrepo.org/tiki/Driver+Versions
   Note: I searched for "nvidia" to find the latest version to be "nvidia 295.40".

5. I enabled the El Repo repository:
   $ sudo rpm --import http://elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
   $ sudo rpm -Uvh http://elrepo.org/elrepo-release-6-4.el6.elrepo.noarch.rpm

5. I installed the latest Nvidia driver from the El Repo repository:
   $ sudo yum --enablerepo elrepo install kmod-nvidia
   $ sudo yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=elrepo install nvidia-x11-drv-32bit

> if yes, are you using the driver package directly from NVIDIA (as
> opposed to one of the RPM versions from, e.g., epel, or wherever...

I'm using the one from El Repo.

> I've had what you describe happen to me under those circumstances.
> The nvidia drivers replace some system library, and now and then
> (not too often, in my experience, in fact pretty rarely) that system
> lib gets updated, threby trashing the Nvidia replacement.

Come to think of it, I 'did' recently run a "yum update"!

> When that happens, firing up firefox will kill X, dropping
> you back to the login.
>
> if that sounds like what you see, just go rerun the nvidia installer,
> then you should be working again.

So, you suggest I install the Nvidia drivers directly from Nvidia
and not the Nvidia drivers from the El Repo repository?

Note: I'm not sure I know how to do that.