[CentOS] partprobe command showing error

Anumeha Prasad

anumeha.prasad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:39:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've created a new partition on /dev/sda on my CentOS machine after which
fdisk -l gives output as:
/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14        3500    28009327+  83  Linux
/dev/sda3            3501        6527    24314377+  83  Linux

Now, when I run partprobe I get the following error:
Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
/dev/sda3 -- Device or resource busy.  This means Linux won't know about
any changes you made to /dev/sda3 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't
mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
Warning: The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/sda
(Device or resource busy).  This means Linux won't know anything about the
modifications you made until you reboot.  You should reboot your computer
before doing anything with /dev/sda.

I'm using parted rpm version "parted-1.8.1-29.el5". Is it some issue with
this version or with the way I'm using this command?

Thanks,
Anumeha